1 cup dried chickpeas
4 cups vegetable stock or water
2 bay leaves
4 cloves garlic
3 tbsp tahini
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 lemons, juiced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
paprika & olive oil for garnish
1. Soak the chickpeas for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain chickpeas and transfer to a saucepan. Add water or stock and bay leaves, then bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Drain, reserving around 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
3. Cool chickpeas. For a smoother hummus, remove shells by rolling a handful of chickpeas in your hand. Continue until all shells are removed.
4. Using a blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, cumin, salt, olive oil, lemon juice and crushed red pepper. Puree until creamy consistency, adding reserved cooking liquid, 1/4 cup at a time, if hummus is too thick.
5. Garnish with olive oil and paprika. Serve with veggies or warm pita bread, and enjoy!
To print or save recipe, click here.