2 medium eggplants
4-5 cloves garlic
1 1/2 lemons, juiced
3-4 tbsp tahini
1 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sumac
parsley for garnish
1. Preheat grill, broiler or burner flame to high.
2. Prick eggplants all over with a fork or knife. Wrap each in foil and grill, turning occasionally, until charred and tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Transfer the eggplants to a cutting board and cool. Remove stem, peel and transfer to strainer to drain off the liquid.
4. Pulse garlic in food processor until paste-like in texture. Add eggplant pieces, lemon juice, tahini, cumin and salt to taste. Process until almost smooth.
5. Transfer mixture to a plate or bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sumac, paprika or parsley, if desired. Serve with pita bread or chips.