Chicken Thighs with Braised White Beans
8 chicken thighs
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp salt
1 tbsp whole peppercorns
1 lemon, juiced, zested and quartered
1 orange, juiced and quartered
2 tsp pepper
5 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
3, 15 oz cans cannellini beans, drained
1 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Put the chicken thighs into a container. Add 3 cups of water, or enough to cover all the chicken. Mix in sugar, 2 tbsp salt, peppercorns, lemon juice, lemon quarters, orange juice, and orange quarters. Marinate overnight.
2. After the chicken has marinated, remove from the brine and pat thighs dry with paper towels. Season marinated chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, heat a Dutch oven and coat the bottom with 2 tbsp olive oil. When hot, add onion, thyme and bay leaves. When lightly browned, add the beans. Cook for 4 minutes, then deglaze the pan with the wine.
4. Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes, then add the stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Meanwhile, in a heavy bottom, ovenproof skillet, heat remaining olive oil. When hot, add the chicken thighs skin side down, in batches. Do not overcrowd the pan, you don’t want steamed chicken.
6. Cook the chicken for 5-8 minutes, or until the skin is crispy and browned, not burnt. Flip thighs and cook an additional 5-8 minutes. Remove thighs and repeat until all thighs have been browned.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Return the chicken thighs to the skillet and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
8. Serve chicken with braised beans. Garnish with chopped parsley and fresh lemon zest. Enjoy!